2015 Outstanding contributions recognized
The Islands Trust Community Stewardship Awards recognize individuals and groups for programs or actions that have made a significant contribution towards the object of the Islands Trust and relate to the Islands Trust Policy Statement.
At its June meeting on Galiano Island this year, Islands Trust Council recognized three individuals and two groups for their outstanding contibutions.
In addition, Trust Council announced a Special Award for First Nations Relationship Building, as well as an award for Enduring Acheivement.
The Gabriola, Mayne, Salt Spring, and Saturna local trust committees will make presentations to the award recipients in early fall.
News release: June 24, 2015 | Islanders Recognized with Islands Trust Community Stewardship Awards
News release: May 15, 2015 | Seventeen Island Nominees for Islands Trust Community Stewardship Awards
Nominations are now closed and will open again in 2017.
Recent Program Changes
In September 2014, Trust Council made a number of changes to the program effective in 2015. The eligibility criteria are more fully explained in the policy about the program. Below is a digest of the changes since last year.
- The program will now be offered every two years rather than annually in order to increase the number of applicants in each round, while reducing program costs. Nominations will open again in February 2017.
- The Islands Trust Council will now evaluate nominations based solely on the information in the nomination form. Letters of support and other supporting materials will be discouraged and will not be part of the evaluation.
- Organizations that provide goods or services to the Islands Trust are eligible so long as the nominated project did not receive payment from the Islands Trust.
- Projects that have received support from the Trust Fund Board are eligible if the value of the Islands Trust Fund cash and in-kind support is less than 50 per cent of the project budget.
- Former Islands Trust staff, trustees (including Trust Fund Board appointees) and contractors are now eligible 24 months after they have received their last payment for services.
- Current staff members, contractors, and trustees (including Trust Fund Board appointees) are NOT eligible to be nominated.
- The Islands Trust Chair will thank each nominee in a letter.
For more information, please call:
(250) 405-5164 or email firstname.lastname@example.org