Video Date: May 24, 2018
Freshwater sustainability is a shared responsibility. Watershed ecosystems and island communities rely on unique freshwater networks.
In a 2016 poll, over 40% of islanders said they sometimes worry about their household running out of freshwater and climate change projections are increasing those concerns.
What We Are Doing
- Developing a freshwater sustainability strategy for the Islands Trust Area.
- Creating heritage overlay mapping, including a relational focus on the significance of watershed ecosystems to First Nations heritage and culture
- Mapping groundwater recharge potential across the Islands Trust Area and developing water budgets.
- Working with the Province of BC to identify groundwater regions in the Islands Trust Area that are vulnerable to saltwater intrusion
- Developing model land use regulations for groundwater protection, rainwater catchment and greywater recycling
- Helping you protect freshwater ecosystems with the Natural Area Protection Tax Exemption Program (NAPTEP), land donations and conservation covenants
- Restoring freshwater ecosystems in Islands Trust Conservancy nature reserves and conservation covenant areas Learn more
Enforcing bylaws and development permit area regulations where they are in place
- All local trust committees and Bowen Island Municipality have official community plan policies addressing freshwater and may also have freshwater sustainability projects underway – learn about these on their webpages.
- Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee coordinates the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Alliance using funding from a special property tax requisition.
- Search the Document Library for specific reports
- Groundwater well information for Property Owner webpage, Province of BC
- Domestic Well Registration Form, Province of BC
- Groundwater/Stream Water Licence Application (non-domestic), Province of BC
- Gulf Islands Groundwater Protection: A Regulatory Toolkit, Islands Trust, 2014
- Rainwater harvesting webinar, Islands Trust, 2020
- Groundwater and Wells Presentation slides, Islands Trust/Province of BC, 2017
Groundwater Well Maps
By Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (2017):