The largest of the southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring is home to over 10,000 people and is one of Canada's top tourism and retirement destinations. The Salt Spring Island trust area enjoys one of the warmest year-round climates in Canada, and is popular for its easy-going lifestyle, rich culture and serene beauty. Encompassing nearly 20,000 hectares and including numerous islets, the Local Trust Area is located 11 kilometres north of the Swartz Bay ferry terminal on Vancouver Island. The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Area is home to some of the rarest ecosystems in the world. To learn about the conservation status of the Salt spring Island Local Trust Area, view the island profile.
Important Information: North Salt Spring Waterworks District Water Supply Statement
For Building Permits for Salt Spring Island (within the jurisdiction of the Capital Regional District) please submit a Building Permit Review Form and required documents electronically.
Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
- October 6, 2020 | SSI LTC Electronic Regular Meeting Highlights:
- requested staff to forward correspondence Item 8.17 to the Trust Programs Committee.
- approved issuance of Development Variance Permit SS-DVP-2020.8 (180 Head Street).
- accepted in principle a covenant under section 219 of the Land Title Act requiring a water treatment system for proposed Lot 1, 2, and 3 created by the subdivision of Section 3, accepted in principle a covenant under section 219 of the Land Title Act restricting the permitted uses for proposed Lot 2 created by the subdivision of Section 3, and accept a covenant under section 219 of the Land Title Act restricting further subdivision for proposed Lot 3 created by the subdivision of Section 3, Range 2 West, North Salt Spring Island, Cowichan District, Except Part In Plan 3955 and designate any member of the Local Trust Committee to sign the covenant SS-SUB-2018.5, (200 Collins Rd).
- approved issuance of SS-DVP-2020.10 (118 & Lot B Jackson Avenue) conditional upon receipt of confirmation of registration of a covenant within three (3) months deferring the construction of a sidewalk.
- directed staff to refer application SS-DP-2020.7 (107 Atkins Road) to the APC for comment before the next SSI LTC Regular Business meeting on 2020-11-10.
For report and project related resolutions, please refer to the SSI LTC Regular Business meeting minutes from 2020-10-06 (forthcoming).
October 6, 2020 | Electronic SSI LTC Regular Business Meeting
Meeting Agenda: click here.
To join Electronically: click here.
To Call into the meeting: Canada: 855 703 8985 (Toll Free) / US: 888 475 4499 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 628 0136 0136
This meeting will be recorded and posted on the Islands Trust website. For those who are unable to join or watch the live webinar, a link to the recorded live stream will be available on the Islands Trust website a few days after the meeting.