Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
Subscribe to the Salt Spring Island Latest News updates and receive the latest information on official community plan reviews, staff reports, notifications and other documents published in this section.
For the latest news, please visit our home page
- November 4, 2017 | Come share your vision for the properties along the next phase of the Ganges Harbourwalk. A Community Consultation Event will be held at the Lions Hall (103 Bonnet Avenue) on Saturday, November 4, 2017 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Read More
- November 2, 2017 | The meeting began with a Public hearing for Fulford Landing Marina at 2850 Fulford-Ganges Rd.
Following, the LTC considered the Watershed Management and Affordable Rental Housing – Cottages projects. SSIWPA’s Technical Working Group’s draft Terms of Reference were tentatively approved for discussion, staff were requested to develop a project charter for an assessment of Freshwater Sustainability Methodologies for Watershed Reservoirs, and a special property tax requisition of up to $98,500 for continued coordination of watershed management was approved. On the cottages project, the LTC approved a Project Charter and directed staff to prepare bylaws. At noon, the LTC presented Mr. Bob Weeden with the 2017 Community Stewardship Award. Then the LTC: Replaced the Bylaw Enforcement Resolution regarding of Unlawful Suites and Dwellings; Approved the DP for 660 Walker's Hook Rd; Approved the DP application for shoreline erosion works at 1171 Isabella Point Rd; Approved the setback DVP for 145 Scott Point Dr; Approved the TUP for the sale of products not produced on site for 223 Booth Canal Rd; Approved the TUP for a Home Based Commercial Business at 215 Margolin Dr; Read Bylaws 474 and 475 a third time (Fulford Marina Expansion at 2850 Fulford-Ganges Rd); Amended and read a first time draft Bylaw 509 for 805 Lower Ganges Rd; Adopted Bylaw 483 for the SS Abattoir at 1449 Fulford-Ganges Rd.
- October 5, 2017 | The SSI LTC: amended the wording of Bylaw 489 for the Industrial Land Uses Project and gave Bylaws 488, 489 and 490 second reading and asked for a Public Hearing; directed staff on the Rural Watershed Project to provide advice and deferred further consideration of Bylaws 487 and 496; received an update on the Ganges Harbourwalk Project; directed Bylaw Enforcement Staff to provide a report to amend the Standing Resolution on Bylaw Enforcement of Unlawful Suites and Dwellings; 132 Corbett Road - read the bylaw a first time and sent it for referral, requested the applicant pursue access through a neighbouring property, communicate with the hospital regarding emergency road access and report back to the LTC, and directed staff to report on the approval process for water supply and quantity requirements for multi-unit residential developments; Bishop's Walk, Lot 3 Charlesworth Road - read Bylaw 506 (regarding a housing agreement for the provision of 24 units of affordable housing) a first time and requested a Public Hearing; 221 Drake Road - read Bylaws 504 and 505 a first time and sent them for referral; 121 Upper Ganges Road - read Bylaw 508 a first time and sent it for referral and requested the applicant consider voluntary provision of a community amenity in support of their rezoning application and demonstrate compliance with the disability and bicycle parking requirements; 114 Cranberry Road - approved a restrictive covenant, a frontage exemption, and accepted a $25,150 cash in lieu of park land dedication for an 8 lot bare land strata subdivision; 288 Long Harbour Road - requested staff register a covenant and granted the exemption of the proposed Remainder Lot from the frontage requirement; 2850 Fulford-Ganges Road - directed staff to schedule a Community Information Session and Public Hearing for Bylaws 474 and 475; 220 Monteith Road - approved issuance of DVP to vary a front lot line setback.
- October 5, 2017 | Community Information Meeting for 270 Furness Road. For further information about the CIM and SSI LTC meeting, please see the Notice.
- September 7, 2017 | Please be advised the September 7, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee is cancelled. The next scheduled Local Trust Committee Regular Meeting is Thursday, October 5, 2017.
- August 10, 2017 | The SSI LTC: approved proactive enforcement of Short-Term Vacation rentals; requested staff organize an Open House and Community Information Meeting for the Gulf Island Brewery at 270 Furness Road, read Bylaws 500 and 501 a first time and asked they be referred to the APC, First Nations, and public agencies for comment; and approved issuance of a DP for BC Ferries septic system at 1000 Long Harbour Road.
- July 20, 2017 | The SSI LTC: approved the DVP for 359 Long Harbour; approved the DP for a new sign at 106 Jackson, directed staff prepare draft bylaws regarding the Dragonfly Commons Affordable Housing application at 221 Drake; and approved the DP for redevelopment of Salt Spring Marina’s moorage structure at 126 Upper Ganges.
- June 30, 2017 | Our Groundwater, Our Responsibility Join Islands Trust and partners for a free workshop on wells and their impacts on groundwater. Find details of a workshop near you.
- June 29, 2017 | The SSILTC: endorsed the watershed management project charter, allocated $18,000 for a wells inventory and groundwater monitoring pilot program and requested staff apply for a grant from the Real Estate Foundation; Forwarded the 805 Lower Ganges Road application to the ALC with support; Approved the DVP for 367 Cusheon Lake Road; Approved the DP and DVP for 711 Mansell Road; Referred the application for 126 Upper Ganges to the APC; Adopted Bylaw 497 regarding Lot 15 Park Drive; and, regarding 805 Vesuvius Bay Road, read Bylaws 502 and 503 a first time and referred them to the APC, First Nations, and public agencies.
- June 1, 2017 | The SSILTC: amended Bylaw 489 and requested staff hold open houses regarding the implementation of proposed Bylaws 488, 489 and 490 (SSI Industrial Lands Project); amended Bylaw 487 (regarding a Rural Watershed Uses OCP and LUB Update), and read it a second time; amended Bylaw 496, and gave first and second reading, and requested staff refer them and schedule a Public Hearing; directed staff undertake community engagement, including a Community Information Meeting, to gather feedback on the scale of development for the properties adjacent to the proposed Ganges Harbourwalk; referred a non-farm use application for 805 Lower Ganges Road to the SSI AAPC; requested staff forward the subdivision application for 902 Beaver Point Road to the ALC with support; requested staff prepare a draft bylaw to rezone 805 Vesuvius Bay Road from CA2 to R8 and requested that PARC consider construction of a public trail on the Margaret Road shoreline access road dedication to and across the property; appointed and reappointed members to terms with the APC and AAPC.
- May 4, 2017 | Following the Public Hearing for Lot 15, Park Drive, the SSILTC: requested staff work with the applicant for 145 Scott Point Drive; rescinded third reading of Bylaws 474 and 475 for 2850 Fulford-Ganges Road; gave third reading to the Lot 15 Park Drive bylaw and forwarded it to the Executive Committee; requested the applicant for 270 Furness Road submit reports and that staff prepare draft bylaws to amend the OCP and LUB; and added a review of the Short Term Vacation Rentals policy to the projects list.
- April 13, 2017 | The SSILTC: requested Bylaw Enforcement provide a report on STVRs and airbnbs; requested staff provide a report regarding Ganges Village Area Planning – Harbourwalk; reallocated project monies; directed staff provide information on Development Approval Information Bylaws; directed staff provide options and project estimates for contracting a consultant for both the Affordable Housing – Cottages and the Marine Environment Protection projects; directed staff to amend Bylaw No. 355 such that boundary fences be limited to 2.4 meters in height; amended SS-TUP-2017.2 180 - Thomas Road and approved issuance; approved issuance of SS-DVP-2017.2 Margaret Avenue; and forwarded the report, “Review of Report “Safe Yield Analysis For Surface Water Resources," to SSIWPA.
- March 2, 2017 | The SSILTC amended and gave first reading to draft Bylaws 488, 489, and 490. Learn more about the Industrial Land Uses project.
- March 23, 2017 | The SSILTC requested: staff refer 295 Roland Road to MOTI regarding roadway encroachment; and the applicant for 347 Bridgman Road submit archaeological reports and staff prepare draft bylaws to amend the OCP and LUB from CA 2 to a Rural zone variant The SSILTC discussed: short-term vacation rentals, rental accommodation, bed and breakfast businesses; and rainwater catchment for the Ganges village area.
- February 9, 2017 | The SSI LTC resolved: to administer, through SSIWPA, a partnership with Royal Roads university students to investigate the potential for rainwater harvesting; to contribute $2,000 to undertake a land use inventory of SSI agricultural land; and approved issuance of a service contract to conduct an hydrology review of the sustainable yield model developed by SSIWPA Technical Working Group. Regarding a proposal to amend zoning on Lot 15 Park Drive from CA4 to R6, the SSI LTC: gave Bylaw No. 497 second reading; requested staff schedule a Public Hearing; and requested the applicant forward an archaeological report at or before the Public Hearing. The SSI LTC approved issuance of DPs for 1429 Fulford-Ganges Road conditional upon receipt of a landscaping security and for 121 Upper Ganges Road.
- January 31, 2017 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee is seeking your input on continued funding for coordination of the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Authority (SSIWPA). SSIWPA brings together multiple agencies to work together for water management on Salt Spring Island. The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee is requesting a $98,500 Special Property Tax Requisition for the 2017-2018 fiscal year. For more information, please see the FAQ or contact the Islands Trust at 250-537-9144.
Page last updated: 16/01/18