Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
Subscribe to the Salt Spring Island Latest News updates and receive the latest information on official community plan reviews, staff reports, notifications and other documents published in this section.
For the latest news, please visit our home page
- June 20, 2019 | OPEN HOUSE
An Open House for SS-LCB-2019.1 (Salt Spring Wild Cider) will take place on Thursday, June 20, 2019. See the Notice here.
- May 22, 2019 | Community Information & Public Hearing: A Community Information Meeting and Public Hearing for Bylaw No. 515 will take place Tuesday, May 22, 2019. Proposed Bylaw No. 515 seeks to amend the Salt Spring Island Land Use Bylaw to change the zoning of 154 King's Lane from Community Facility 1 variant [CF1(d)] to Residential 12 variant [R12(a)] which would permit 48 aﬀordable seniors housing units, 2 dwelling units, a service club, and a dental and medical oﬀice with up to 12 medical practitioners. See the Notice here.
- May 24, 2019 | Public Hearing: A Public Hearing for Bylaws No. 488, 489 and 490 (Industrial Land Uses project) will take place Tuesday, May 14, 2019. See the Notice here.
- May 28, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights
The SSI LTC: amended the SSIWPA budget and approved a Request For Proposals for SSIWPA coordination services; received correspondence regarding upland owner’s riparian rights in respect to the Ganges Harbourwalk; agreed to not enforce a covenant in respect to the addition of a modular multi-purpose room at 262 Rainbow Road; received a Notice regarding Federal Cannabis Licensing at 1867 North End Road; approved public engagement activities in the Salt Spring Local Trust Area for the Trust Council’s Visions 2099; endorsed text for the 2018-2019 Islands Trust Annual Report; acknowledged work by Salt Spring Transitions in recognizing June as Climate Awareness Month; forwarded the Model Strategy for Antenna Systems to the APC; requested further information and that staff draft a bylaw for 377 Seymour Heights Road; referred 1200 Beddis Road to the AAPC; and, supported, in principle, a DVP for 200 Collins Road. Lastly, in the Rise and Report, the SSILTC noted the appointment of new APC/AAPC/BOV commissions and thanked departing commissioners for their service.
- April 4, 2019 | New Bylaws to Protect Drinking Water on Salt Spring Island: The SSILTC has adopted two bylaws that will help maintain water quality in the Island’s drinking water lakes while also respecting the role that farming plays in the island’s culture and economy. Read More >>
- April 20, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC rescinded, amended and read a second time Bylaw 512 regarding Affordable Rental Housing - Cottages Project; Received a Notice regarding Federal Cannabis Licensing at 316 Seymour Heights Road; requested further information from the proponent of the CREST tower and requested staff report back to LTC regarding topics discussed concerning the CREST tower; requested staff schedule a Community Information Meeting and Public Hearing for Bylaw 515 for 154 Kings Lane (Meadowlane) and will not adopt bylaw until conditions have been fulfilled; referred the Cannabis Retail Licence application for Leaf Compassion Inc. to the APC and directed staff to hold a public meeting to gather community input; directed staff work with the applicant for 200 Collins Road to encourage the joint use of private docks; proceeded no further with the DP and DVP applications for 1216 North Beach Road; issued the DVP application to allow an increase of total accessory building floor area for 127 Orchard Road; granted the DVP for 210 Norton Road; and referred the Non-Farm Use Application in the ALR for 192 Vesuvius Bay Road to the AAPC. The Town Hall was well attended.
- March 26, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC amended Proposed Bylaws 488, 489 and 490 (Industrial Lands Review Project) and requested the public hearing notification be mailed to property owners within 100 metres of any properties proposed for rezoning and directed staff to schedule a community information meeting at least one week prior to the public hearing; Confirmed that a Place of Interment is a permitted use for 2100 Fulford-Ganges Road; Accepted a Water Treatment System Covenant and referred the DVP and Subdivision applications for 210 Norton Road to the APC and AAPC; Approved the front lot line DVP for 310 Old Scott Road; Adopted bylaw 508 for - 121 Upper Ganges Road (Harbour House Hotel); Forwarded the ALR application for 360 Upper Ganges Road to the ALC with conditions and support; Approved issuance of the rear lot line setback DVP for 148 Lyoness Drive.
- February 26, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC amended Bylaw 512 (Affordable Rental Housing - Cottages) was and requested staff schedule a Public Hearing; Allocated $5,000 from the Water Sustainability budget to identify Community Aquifer Recharge Areas; Requested the Islands Trust have the opportunity to review and comment on the Terms of Reference for Integrated Water Management; Adopted Bylaws 496 & 487 (Agriculture in Rural Watershed Zones); Referred the proposed CREST VHF tower at 120 Blain Road to the APC; Received 2 notices regarding Cannabis Licensing; Read Bylaw No. 515 (GISRA - 154 Kings Lane) a second time and referred it to the CRD Ganges Sewer Commission, re-referred it to Island Health, requested an Archaeological Impact Overview, and approved, in principle, the draft housing agreement; Approved the Development Permit for 210 Norton Road; and, Accepted the water treatment and storm water management covenants for the 370 Baker Road subdivision application.
- January 26, 2019 | Community Information Meeting &Town Hall: The SSI LTC has proposed a Special Property Tax Requisition of $98,500 to continue funding collaborative watershed management on the Island through the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Alliance (SSIWPA). On Saturday, January 26, come learn more about the proposed tax requisition, SSIWPA's work, and share your thoughts with the Local Trust Committee ahead of the LTC's final recommendation to Islands Trust Council on the matter. For more information, click here.
- January 29, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: A Public Hearing was held for Proposed Bylaws 510 and 511 regarding 155 Rainbow Road. The SSI LTC directed staff to schedule a Special Business meeting to consult the public about strategic directions for the 2018-2022 term; Approved the SSIWPA Special Property Tax Requisition Request for Decision and authorized staff to forward it to Islands Trust Council; Received four Notices regarding Federal Cannabis Licencing; Approved the DVPs for 123 Ashya Road, 289 & 293 Armand Way, and 108 Walker's Hook Road; Approved the DPs and DVPs for Lot 3 Bishop's Walk (Salt Spring Commons) and 161 Fulford-Ganges Road; Denied the DVPs for 185 Grantville Street and 400 Long Harbour Road; and Requested staff work with the applicants regarding rezoning applications for 377 Seymour Heights Road and 2188 North End Road.
Page last updated: 05/07/19