Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
Subscribe to the Salt Spring Island Latest News updates and receive the latest information on official community plan reviews, staff reports, notifications and other documents published in this section.
For the latest news, please visit our home page
October 29, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC approved issuance of SS-DP-2019.6 (118 Jackson Avenue) and SS-DP-2019.7 (183 Beaver Point Road) and approved issuance of SS-DVP-2019.4 (381 Toynbee Road), as amended. SS-LCB-2019.3 (110-150 Fulford-Ganges Road) was forwarded to the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) with comment. Bylaw No. 520 (SS-RZ-2018.3, 377 Seymour Heights Road) was given first reading and referred to external agencies. Additionally, an easement for SSI Fire Rescue, a conservation covenant requested and several resolutions were made regarding water and sewerage. Bylaw No. 519 (SS-RZ-2019.2, 127 Lower Ganges Road) was given first reading, was referred to external agencies and roadway safety was discussed. Additionally, the SSI LTC directed staff to schedule a Public Hearing. The SSI LTC approved the OCP Update Project Charter, as amended, and directed staff to undertake the project work plan. The Groundwater Recharge Potential Mapping report was received. The SSI LTC gave first reading to Bylaw No. 518 (Regulation of Cannabis Production) and referred it to the APC and AAPC as well as external agencies and interest groups and staff were directed to schedule a Community Information Meeting. The SSI LTC supported the CRD to apply for, receive and manage UBCM grant funding to complete a housing needs report partnership with the SSI LTC and granted permission to Salt Spring Community Services to increase rental rates for 8 of 24 units in order to meet conditions set out in the BC Housing Operating Agreement and to discharge two covenants for Lot 3 Bishops Walk Road.
October 1, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights The SSI LTC approved issuance of SS-DP-2019.5 (141 Bishops Walk Road) and adopted Bylaw No.498 and Bylaw No.499, as amended (SS-RZ-2017.1, 347 Bridgman Road), referring the staff report to the Local Planning Committee for consideration. The SSI LTC directed staff to amend Bylaw No. 512 (Affordable Rental Housing - Cottages Project) with amendments including but not limited to; removal of properties in the Shoreline Conservation OCP designation, installation of rainwater catchment infrastructure, prohibiting bed-and-breakfast home-based businesses in full-time rental cottages, and prohibiting full-time rentals in cottages on properties that contain a secondary suite. The SSI LTC removed Ganges Village Planning Harbourwalk from its Top Priorities, replacing it with Regulation of Cannabis Production and endorsed SSI LTC Development Approvals Information Bylaw No. 175 and referred it to Trust Council.
August 27, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC approved issuance of SS-DVP-2019.3 (64 McKenzie Crescent), SS-TUP-2019.5 (Lower Ganges Road), and SS-DVP-2019.1 (200 Collins Road). The SSI LTC denied issuance of SS-TUP-2019.1 (784 Vesuvius Bay Road) and SS-DVP-2018.15 (119 & 121 Cairns Road). The SSI LTC adopted Bylaw No. 513 and Bylaw No. 507, as amended (132 Corbett Road - Croftonbrook). Bylaw No. 510 was read for a third time and Bylaw No. 511 was amended and forwarded both Bylaws to Executive Committee and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for approval (155 Rainbow Road). SS-DVP-2018.17 (2621 & 2661 Fulford-Ganges Road) and the Strategic Priorities 2018-2022 were referred to the APC for comment. The SSI LTC directed staff to schedule a Special Business Meeting for SS-RZ-2018.4 (154 Kings Lane). The SSI LTC rescinded resolution SS-2017-120 and adopted a new standing resolution regarding Short-Term Vacation Rentals and also directed staff to draft a Bylaw regarding cannabis regulations.
- Until July 26, 2019 | Affordable Rental Housing Cottages Survey: The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee (LTC) wants to hear from Island residents and property owners about a plan to allow full-time residential use of accessory cottages on approximately 400 Island properties. Until now, seasonal cottages have only been permitted for “temporary” occupancy of less than 30 days. Please take a few minutes to fill out the SURVEY and share your thoughts with the LTC. Your opinions will assist the LTC as it seeks to address the Island’s affordable housing challenges in a manner consistent with the mandate of the Islands Trust. For more information on the LTC’s “Affordable Rental Housing – Cottages” project, visit the project webpage here.
- July 23, 2019 | CANCELLED - SSILTC Regular Business Meeting: Please be advised the Tuesday, July 23, 2019 Regular Business meeting of the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee has been cancelled. The next scheduled meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 27, 2019.
- July 8, 2019 | Planner Enquiry Hours: Salt Spring Island Office Planner Enquiry Hours Will Be Held: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm Monday - Friday (excluding Statutory Holidays). To make an appointment please call: 250-537-9144 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 25, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC: read for a third time and forwarded to Executive Committee, Bylaw nos. 488, 489 (amended) & 490 for the Industrial Land Uses project. Once approved, Bylaw no. 488 is to be forwarded to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing for review. The SSI LTC agreed to assign the Statutory Right-of-Way application for the Ganges Harbourwalk to the CRD; directed staff to respond to two pieces of correspondence; and requested staff provide a report regarding options for short term vacation rentals and Standing Resolution SS‑017-120. Bylaw No.515 was amended and read a third time for 154 Kings Lane (Meadowlane) and a Cost Recovery Agreement was endorsed. ALR applications were forwarded for 192 Vesuvius Bay Road & 1200 Beddis Road to the ALC with comments and support; an ALR application for 641 Fulford-Ganges Road was declined to be forwarded to the ALC; applications for 151 Sharp Road (Salt Spring Wild Cider) & 105-109 McPhillips Avenue (Platinum Cannabis) were forwarded to the LCRB with comments; and a Development Permit and Heritage Alteration Permit (as amended) were issued for 134 McPhillips Avenue. The Town Hall was well attended.
- June 20, 2019 | OPEN HOUSE: An Open House for SS-LCB-2019.1 (Salt Spring Wild Cider) will take place on Thursday, June 20, 2019. See the Notice here.
- May 22, 2019 | Community Information & Public Hearing: A Community Information Meeting and Public Hearing for Bylaw No. 515 will take place Tuesday, May 22, 2019. Proposed Bylaw No. 515 seeks to amend the Salt Spring Island Land Use Bylaw to change the zoning of 154 King's Lane from Community Facility 1 variant [CF1(d)] to Residential 12 variant [R12(a)] which would permit 48 aﬀordable seniors housing units, 2 dwelling units, a service club, and a dental and medical oﬀice with up to 12 medical practitioners. See the Notice here.
- May 24, 2019 | Public Hearing: A Public Hearing for Bylaws No. 488, 489 and 490 (Industrial Land Uses project) will take place Tuesday, May 14, 2019. See the Notice here.
- May 28, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: the SSI LTC: amended the SSIWPA budget and approved a Request For Proposals for SSIWPA coordination services; received correspondence regarding upland owner’s riparian rights in respect to the Ganges Harbourwalk; agreed to not enforce a covenant in respect to the addition of a modular multi-purpose room at 262 Rainbow Road; received a Notice regarding Federal Cannabis Licensing at 1867 North End Road; approved public engagement activities in the Salt Spring Local Trust Area for the Trust Council’s Visions 2099; endorsed text for the 2018-2019 Islands Trust Annual Report; acknowledged work by Salt Spring Transitions in recognizing June as Climate Awareness Month; forwarded the Model Strategy for Antenna Systems to the APC; requested further information and that staff draft a bylaw for 377 Seymour Heights Road; referred 1200 Beddis Road to the AAPC; and, supported, in principle, a DVP for 200 Collins Road. Lastly, in the Rise and Report, the SSILTC noted the appointment of new APC/AAPC/BOV commissions and thanked departing commissioners for their service.
- April 4, 2019 | New Bylaws to Protect Drinking Water on Salt Spring Island: The SSILTC has adopted two bylaws that will help maintain water quality in the Island’s drinking water lakes while also respecting the role that farming plays in the island’s culture and economy. Read More >>
- April 20, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC rescinded, amended and read a second time Bylaw 512 regarding Affordable Rental Housing - Cottages Project; Received a Notice regarding Federal Cannabis Licensing at 316 Seymour Heights Road; requested further information from the proponent of the CREST tower and requested staff report back to LTC regarding topics discussed concerning the CREST tower; requested staff schedule a Community Information Meeting and Public Hearing for Bylaw 515 for 154 Kings Lane (Meadowlane) and will not adopt bylaw until conditions have been fulfilled; referred the Cannabis Retail Licence application for Leaf Compassion Inc. to the APC and directed staff to hold a public meeting to gather community input; directed staff work with the applicant for 200 Collins Road to encourage the joint use of private docks; proceeded no further with the DP and DVP applications for 1216 North Beach Road; issued the DVP application to allow an increase of total accessory building floor area for 127 Orchard Road; granted the DVP for 210 Norton Road; and referred the Non-Farm Use Application in the ALR for 192 Vesuvius Bay Road to the AAPC. The Town Hall was well attended.
- March 26, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC amended Proposed Bylaws 488, 489 and 490 (Industrial Lands Review Project) and requested the public hearing notification be mailed to property owners within 100 metres of any properties proposed for rezoning and directed staff to schedule a community information meeting at least one week prior to the public hearing; Confirmed that a Place of Interment is a permitted use for 2100 Fulford-Ganges Road; Accepted a Water Treatment System Covenant and referred the DVP and Subdivision applications for 210 Norton Road to the APC and AAPC; Approved the front lot line DVP for 310 Old Scott Road; Adopted bylaw 508 for - 121 Upper Ganges Road (Harbour House Hotel); Forwarded the ALR application for 360 Upper Ganges Road to the ALC with conditions and support; Approved issuance of the rear lot line setback DVP for 148 Lyoness Drive.
- February 26, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: The SSI LTC amended Bylaw 512 (Affordable Rental Housing - Cottages) was and requested staff schedule a Public Hearing; Allocated $5,000 from the Water Sustainability budget to identify Community Aquifer Recharge Areas; Requested the Islands Trust have the opportunity to review and comment on the Terms of Reference for Integrated Water Management; Adopted Bylaws 496 & 487 (Agriculture in Rural Watershed Zones); Referred the proposed CREST VHF tower at 120 Blain Road to the APC; Received 2 notices regarding Cannabis Licensing; Read Bylaw No. 515 (GISRA - 154 Kings Lane) a second time and referred it to the CRD Ganges Sewer Commission, re-referred it to Island Health, requested an Archaeological Impact Overview, and approved, in principle, the draft housing agreement; Approved the Development Permit for 210 Norton Road; and, Accepted the water treatment and storm water management covenants for the 370 Baker Road subdivision application.
- January 26, 2019 | Community Information Meeting &Town Hall: The SSI LTC has proposed a Special Property Tax Requisition of $98,500 to continue funding collaborative watershed management on the Island through the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Alliance (SSIWPA). On Saturday, January 26, come learn more about the proposed tax requisition, SSIWPA's work, and share your thoughts with the Local Trust Committee ahead of the LTC's final recommendation to Islands Trust Council on the matter. For more information, click here.
- January 29, 2019 | SSI LTC Regular Meeting Highlights: A Public Hearing was held for Proposed Bylaws 510 and 511 regarding 155 Rainbow Road. The SSI LTC directed staff to schedule a Special Business meeting to consult the public about strategic directions for the 2018-2022 term; Approved the SSIWPA Special Property Tax Requisition Request for Decision and authorized staff to forward it to Islands Trust Council; Received four Notices regarding Federal Cannabis Licencing; Approved the DVPs for 123 Ashya Road, 289 & 293 Armand Way, and 108 Walker's Hook Road; Approved the DPs and DVPs for Lot 3 Bishop's Walk (Salt Spring Commons) and 161 Fulford-Ganges Road; Denied the DVPs for 185 Grantville Street and 400 Long Harbour Road; and Requested staff work with the applicants regarding rezoning applications for 377 Seymour Heights Road and 2188 North End Road.
Page last updated: 23/12/19