Following public consultation, discussions and deliberations, the Islands Trust Council has adopted a strategic plan for its 2014-2018 term of office.
Trust Council will focus on the following 10 priorities, each supported by a number of strategies and activities:
- Protect the natural environment of the Islands Trust Area
- Preserve, protect and advocate for coastal shorelines and marine areas
- Reduce community ecological footprints
- Protect quality and quantity of water resources
- Enhance (protect / restore) community character, socio-economic diversity and economic sustainability
- Strengthen relations with First Nations
- Improve organizational cost effectiveness and resilience
- Improve cooperation and integration with other levels of government
- Improve community and agency understanding and support of the Islands Trust
- Improve community engagement and participation in Islands Trust work
A copy of the Plan, adopted during the September 2015 meeting of the Trust Council on Bowen Island, along with details of activities and strategies to support the identified priorities, is available here. A quarterly update is available here.
In September 2016, Trust Council did a visioning exercise, partly guided by the results of an August 2016 public opinion poll. The poll and the vision workshop revealed that preserving and protecting the natural environment remains a top priority and that there is an increasing need for attention to water, housing and First Nations.
The Islands Trust Council's priorities are guided by the Islands Trust Act, the Islands Trust Policy Statement, by advice from each of council's three standing committees, the Trust Fund Board, local trust committees, Bowen Island Municipality and by public input now and throughout the term.
Trust Council's work is grounded in the principle of effective, efficient and collaborative governance and in the three primary goals of the Islands Trust Policy Statement: 1) ecosystem preservation and protection; 2) stewardship of island resources; 3) sustain island character and healthy communities.
Links to background documents:
July 21 News Release
Frequently Asked Questions
Strategic plan glossary
Strategic plan process
2014-2018 Strategic Plan
2011-2014 Strategic Plan (last term)
2008-2011 Strategic Plan (earlier term)
The strategic plan will provide a focus for work programs throughout the Islands Trust and will form a basis for budget preparations for future fiscal years. Trust Council will receive quarterly updates from staff about progress in achieving its strategic plan, and will consider changes to the strategic plan based on changing circumstances and ongoing public input.